Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Timezones suck

    OK, I went on a bit of a rant with the last post, but sometimes you just need to get stuff out. I did, however, appear to make a minor error in the last post. Apparently the date on the post had rolled over to the next day on me. I am assuming that this is because I am way out in the Pacific Ocean and the Google servers are somewhere on the mainland. I hate timezones.

    I ran in to the same thing, only worse, in Afghanistan. Afghanistan has a weird 30 minute time offset from regular time zones. What I have learned (From this wiki article) is that times zones are messed up all over the place. Most of them have been set for one arbitrary reason or another that has no real world value.

    So, what does all this mean. Nothing really. I just find it really annoying that for the better part of the last five years I have been in timezones that are way off from anyone that I actually know, or have any reason to contact. Outside of my immediate family that is. Even my son (when he is in school) is four hours ahead of me.

    I have decided that I don't like timezones. There. I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment