Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blogging takes times

    Blogging, I have discovered takes a bit of time. It's not just taking the time to actually sit down and write a post, and hope it is at least mildly entertaining. It also includes taking the time to publish, publicize, design, set layouts, choose fonts and so much more. While this is not my first blog, it is the first one I have actually tried to keep going for more than five posts.

     Today I hit 100 views on this blog. Not really a high number considering it has been going for more than a month. Still, the blog is new, and I am new to it.

    I think I am starting to work out what this blog will be about. Recently I started to "tag" my posts to make them easier to search, and find things. Really, the only tag I have used more than once so far is "Android". I have used that one 3 times. Does than mean that I am going to make this yet another "Android" blog? No. Not at all. What I mean is, I think I am starting to get a feel for what it means to blog regularly. It takes time.
   
    Everyone it seems would like to be an Internet millionaire doing this. The fact is I can't see that happening, ever. Most of the people who blog do it because they like to do it. Any revenue they can manage to attract via advertizing or other means is merely to supplement the cost of there time to write and maintain all of the little things.

    I love to write, mostly fiction. It is a great hobby and one I enjoy a lot. Blogging, even though it is non-fiction work, is still writing. It is actually harder than I thought it would be. Some days I don't feel like writing, but I do. There are days I don't feel like going in to work, but I do. Unlike work, blogging is not something I have to do. I do it because I want to.

    Writing is one of those thing that I normally do just for the sake of the mental exercise of doing it. A few months ago a good friend of mind found out that I like to write and even read some of my work. As he put it, "anyone can sing in the shower, you won't know if your any good until someone else hears you..." There is some truth to that. If a thief picks the same lock one thousand times, does that make him a master lock pick? Not really no. The same is true with writing or any other skill. As humans, we measure the level of our skills against the skills of others. Competition is what we do.

    No, I am not suggesting a competition of any sort. What I am saying is that by blogging I have found an outlet that will allow me to write daily and even get feedback on the quality of the writing. I can use this blog as a proverbial yard stick with which to measure myself by. Not only that, but I can look back at past postings and judge for myself how far, if at all, I am progressing.

    So, for the near future at least I will be blogging as often as I can. My vacation will be over soon so we will have to see just how much time I have left when I get back to my day job. Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment